Canadian Billiards &
Snooker Association

GOLD SPONSORS
SILVER SPONSORS
 
BRONZE SPONSORS
Learn more about sponsorship >>

Play In A Canadian Championship

To qualify to participate in any of the CBSA Championships, a player must be a registered member of a Provincial Cue Sports Association or a member of a billiard organization, recognized by the CBSA. Provincial organizations hosts events to qualify players for the National Championships. The National Championships are not open tournaments, and only players who have qualified may participate.

The CBSA Championships consist of Open Pool (Open 8, 9 & 10-Ball / Women’s 9 & 10-Ball), Amateur Pool (Men’s & Women’s 8 & 9-Ball / Junior 9-Ball), and Snooker (Open & Senior).

Please contact your Provincial representative if you are interested in participating in any of the Championships.

Pool Championships Information

Sanction Fees:

  • Open Pool:
    • Open Ranked Players
      • Open 8-Ball - $325
      • Open / Women’s 9-Ball - $325
      • Open / Women’s 10-Ball - $225
    • Amateur Ranked Players
      • All disciplines - $175
  • Amateur / Junior Pool:
      • Amateur Pool - $175
      • Junior 9-Ball - $100

A $25 Provincial fee is also payable for each Open / Amateur entry. 10% of each sanction fee goes to CBSA as an administration fee. The other 90%, along with any added funds, goes into the prize pool. A championship ring is part of the prize package for Men’s Amateur 8 and 9-Ball.

Junior Age Requirement: Must be 18 on December 31 of the year the Championship is played.

Player Classifications: CBSA player rankings are “Open” and “Amateur”. Any person that is not listed as an open player can participate in the Amateur Championships, and also pay a reduced sanction fee for the Open Championships. Each Province does have a different criteria in ranking their players. CBSA goes by the following criteria for each of the following Provinces to determine Open ranked players:

  • British Columbia / Alberta / Saskatchewan / Manitoba – Know ability.
  • Ontario – “8” handi-caps and higher on their Provincial Handi-Cap Tour
  • Quebec – Pros and Semi-Pros
  • Nova Scotia / New Brunswick – “A” ranked players on their Provincial Tours

International Play: The winner and runner-up of each Open Pool discipline are the first two invites to the respective WPA World Pool Championship. Part of the prize pool is expense funds for the winner of each discipline. Other International Pool invites are based on a ranking system of the combined events.

Snooker Championships Information

Sanction Fees:

  • Open - $325
  • Senior - $225

A $25 Provincial fee is also payable for each entry. A person can play in both events, if they fit the Senior eligibility guidelines below. 10% of each sanction fee goes to CBSA as an administration fee. The other 90%, along with any added funds goes into the prize pool. A championship ring is part of the prize package for the Senior division.

Senior Eligibility Guidelines:

  1. Player must be at least 55 years of age.
  2. Player must be nominated by their Province.
  3. Player may not be a “PRO” or “Ex Pro”.
  4. Player may not be a previous CBSA Open Snooker champion or runner up.
  5. If the player resides in a province that does not have a recognized provincial organization, the CBSA will determine.

International Play: The invitation process to fill allocated spots for the IBSF World Championships are as follows:

  • Top 16 of the Open Snooker Championships, based on their order of finish.
  • Winner and runner-up of the Senior division.

Part of the prize pool in the Open division is expense funds for four (4) to compete in the IBSF World Snooker Championships ($2,000 per person). The spots could be the Men's or Master’s division.

All the above information is available as a downloadable pdf. Please contact a CBSA Board of Directors member for any other information.

Friends of the CBSA:

Dean Ellis